Saturday 24 September 2016

Phonic 3 : Hit and Say (for 'ue' and 'aw' phonemes)


Lesson : Phonemic Awareness
Year : 2


This time, I've prepared an activity named as Hit and Say! for phonemes 'ue' and 'aw'. At the beginning of the class, I taught the students on how these phonemes sounded like. Then, gave them few words to say it as a class. Thus, individually, I asked them to come in front and throw a crumpled paper ball on one of these bags (Well, some of the balls thrown hit me too! Haha..) Okay, then, they need to draw a card from that bag, blend them with phonemes to form a word. Each student did this activity and say out the words in front of me. While waiting, I gave the other students an exercise related to phonemes based on their activity book. As a result of this activity, I managed to identify two students who quite weak and tend to confuse in blending the words. The others did a very good job!

I did not get a chance to take any photos of the activity as I have 42 students who need to finish this activity in one hour. So, I just explained the steps and I hope you could make this work too! ^^






What do you need?
Paper bags, markers, thick papers (200 gsm) that being cut into 5 cm x 5 cm (sizes of the cards are based on the size of phonemes written on the paper bags), a crumpled paper ball, markers (red and black).

How to do it?
  1. Write the syllable on a paper bag (use different colour of markers to differentiate the consonants and phonemes)
  2. Cut the thick paper according to the respective sizes.
  3. Write the consonants that will be blended with the phonemes.
  4. Take two unused A4 paper and crumpled them to become a crumpled paper ball.
  5. Done!



P/S : The students were very excited with this activity and I asked them to draw few more cards once they passed the first ones to make sure they know the exact sound of these phonemes. I even tested them with the 'oy' and 'ir' phonemes, and they managed to say out the words correctly too!


Thanks for reading! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Copyright © DIY Teaching Aids | Powered by Blogger
Design by Viva Themes | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com